Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Grinding to a halt...

So I mentioned in an earlier post that Ethan was turning down his food. That was pretty much a theme for the weekend and I just figured with the excitement of all the parties, he was too into playing than eating. I also mentioned that Ethan was all over the juice and I should have put the two together.


Sunday evening after the kids were down for the night, it all went downhill. Maddy was feeling a little down this weekend but by Sunday evening the fever came and she was up at various times in the night with night terrors (She usually gets the terrors when she sleeps hot, so they are a sure thing when she has a fever). When she is in the middle of a night terror, she screams at the top of her lungs and woke Ethan. He was a little warm and clingy, so he spent the rest of the night with us. Monday was rough. Both kids had little sleep and were sick. Maddy was about 24hrs ahead of Ethan so his fever came Monday afternoon. By Monday night, Ethan was just wrecked. He was clingy and wanting Mama all the time. At one point he was wanting all of mom's attention and I couldn't get him to let Maddy stay in the room with us. I said, in an effort to joke and lighten his mood, "What do you want to me to do? Should I throw Jeh-Jeh away?" Maddy laughed, but Ethan thought it was a great idea. He then kept saying through his tears of frustration, "Throw Jeh-Jeh way! Throw Jeh-Jeh way" Ooops, my bad. By Monday night, this was the scene at our house:


To make the time pass on Monday, I'd already pulled out all the stops. We made paper chains to decorate the house, the kids watched me make mini pumpkin pies and we watched The Grinch for the first time on You Tube. By Tuesday and the thought of another day at home, I was desparate as I grabbed the cookie dough to make sugar cookies. It was easy to do, just add an egg and a stick of butter, but I knew that with the kids being all snotty and slightly feverish, the cookies could not be shared with anyone else. To confirm this, Ethan promptly sneezed all over the rolled out dough in front of him. Anyway the kids had fun and they ate the cookies happily afterwards.


Now that the fevers seem to have broken, I'm hoping that the kids will be better in time for the main event. Perhaps it was a message from above telling us to slow down a little. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

2 comments:

Mieke said...

I hope they will feel better soon. Those nasty night terrors, Josh and Evelyn had them both for years. They always scared me, because it was so hard to get them out of it.

Sharon said...

Oh hang in there Mon! Hopefully they're feeling better soon. Good for you for getting them into all sorts of activity, that's awesome. (I love ALL the pics of Ethan and his juice boxes, so cute!).