Monday, October 13, 2008

Pumpkin Turns One!


It's almost 4pm on October 13th, 2008 and exactly one year ago today I was probably just getting up from a nap and getting ready to go for a walk. I'll never forget that day, the weather was sunny and crisp. As we walked around the block, Josh and I knew that our lives were about to change, but we never expected how awesome it would be.

By about 6pm the hard labour contractions had started and we walked and walked, and then walked some more around the living room. Maddy was born at 12:21am on October 14th. What an amazing feeling of overwhelming love, joy and relief that everything went well. In the days that followed I think 'shock' is the word I'd use. Shock that I was now somebody's 'mom'. Shock that she was all ours and how wonderful that felt.

The year has flown and I'm still amazed by how fast it seemed to go by. Even as I look at her today, I can't believe that a year ago all she could do was nurse and sleep. Now she is crawling around, clapping, drinking from her sippy cup all by herself and is so curious about the world around her. The initial shock of being a 'mom' has worn off by now, but it certainly took a while. I've loved every minute of it and watching Maddy grow and change has been the most rewarding thing I've done in my life.

This weekend we celebrated Maddy's first birthday with a 'small' party for family. We were so happy to have the entire Blommestein clan stay for the weekend and to help us celebrate. It was a packed house, but lots of fun to be all together again. Maddy loved all the excitement in the house. On Sunday she napped great with the help of one car ride just before the Lee-Youngs were scheduled to arrive. She woke up right at 3pm as if she knew that it was time for her party.




For those of you who don't know, Josh and I nicknamed Maddy "Pumpkin" when she was still in the womb because her due date was so close to Halloween. The name has stuck and so her party had to have a pumpkin theme! She had an entire mini-pumpkin cake all to herself, but she was so into the icing that she never really made it to the cake part! I'm sure next year will be a different story. She was spoiled by everyone with so many presents that she still has some to open at a later date.



I just glanced at the clock and noticed that it's 8pm. It was at this time when we told the midwife that it was time to come over. I've been doing that ALL day today and I imagine I'll be doing the same for the next couple of hours and into tomorrow. The memories of this past year are all ones that I hold close to my heart to and hope never to forget.

Happy 1st Birthday dear, sweet Maddy. We love you more than words can say. We are so proud of you and so lucky to have you in our lives. Thank you for choosing us to be your parents.

xoxo with all our love,
mom and dad

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations to you both. The pictures are absolutely adorable. Happy Birthday Maddy!

Sharon said...

Happy Birthday Maddy! Those are some awesome and yummy looking birthday treats you got there. I can't believe it has been a year already - you guys are doing a great job as parents!

Sandee said...

Happy birthday Maddy! It's been so great having an older friend for Aly to play with =).

Those are some great looking cakes/cupcakes Mon!

Mieke said...

Thank you all for the great Birthday party. It was great to be part of it all. Just being with our childeren and grand childeren makes us happy. Thanks for all the hard work, preperations, good food, and all the love that was given out. We love you all lots. Thanks for a great weekend. Love Papa and Mama

rae said...

Happy 1st bday Maddy! I really enjoyed reading your post as we are in waiting mode now for our little one to make her appearance. Love the pumpkin theme!

Nathalie Haynes said...

Happy belated birthday Maddy! I did think of it earlier but i'm a bit behind. One year old, wow, it flies doesn't it? Love the cakes too.

Unknown said...

Happy belated, Maddy! I remember Maddy's birth day too, because you guys were supposed to be at our house for dinner. Josh called and we had a nice chat for a few minutes before he said, "Oh... we can't come tonight because Mon is in labour." He was *SO* calm!! And now a year plus later has flown by :).