Monday, September 17, 2007

Bon Voyage Ner!

This weekend Josh and I went to Victoria. My good friend Nerine, who I've known since UVIC days, lives there. She is getting ready to leave for Ethiopia for a year where she will volunteer in a small town. She will be helping teachers with their teaching practices.

I'm so proud of Nerine for embarking on this adventure. It has all happened so fast. I can remember that it was only in the spring when she first mentioned about wanting to go. Since then, she has found a placement, travelled to Ottawa for training, learned to ride a motorcycle (something she has to do to travel between towns) and settled things with her own school board in Sooke.


It was really nice to be back in Victoria again. It sure has changed since the old University days. Walking around downtown is so much more peaceful there than in downtown Vancouver. We had a great lunch at the Milestones in the harbour and walked around downtown. Since we didn't go anywhere this summer, like we usually do, it was nice to feel like a 'tourist' again!


I helped her set up a Blog account so I'll add a link here for you all if you're interested in seeing what life is like in Buee, Ethiopia. Bye Ner, I wish you all the best. I'll miss you so much!!


Love Mon and Josh

2 comments:

Mieke said...

I remember Ner from the Bridal shower. And I want to wish her good luck on her travels as well. What a great opportunity to share your gift in another country. Sending you lots of love on your journy Ner.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Mon! I enjoyed hanging out with you and Josh in Victoria. Thanks to both of you for all your help. Of course I haven't touched my blog, but hope to do so soon.
Thanks Mieke for your wishes too!
Take care,
Nerine