Ethan has grown so much since my last update at 2 years. I can hardly believe that he's signed up for preschool this fall. It's crazy to think that both of them will be in school this fall. Anyway, our little guy is definitely growing up.
Food: His favourites are still fruits. The juicier the better according to Ethan. I've been eating the yummy ruby grapefruits recently and he's even into those. He especially loves the juice at the end, to which he'll drink, give a little shudder and then exclaim, "Souwaar!"
He continues to have a low tolerance to waiting for food. We cannot let him know that we are boiling eggs, otherwise he'll be crying the whole time we boil and cool the eggs enough for him to eat. Often, when I'm cooking peas and corn for dinner, he'll be so 'hungry' that he'll insist on having a scoopful of peas and corn...STILL FROZEN! Today I was cooking in the day and had a bowl of frozen peas and corn just sitting on the counter, waiting for the water to boil. Suddenly, I see this little arm reach up and into the bowl. I look down and there he is with a sheepish little grin on his face. He runs away eating, so happy that he 'got away with it'.
Another thing about food is that you can't throw his food away. He likes to have the option of coming back to finish the rest off at a later time. Many tears have been shed the times I accidently thought he was finished and chucked it in the garbage. The other day he got down from the table and said, "No dump me food. I come back, otaaayy?
Potty: For a while there, we hit a big snag with the pottying front. Ethan went through a pretty big defiance stage and so pottying went out the window. I grew tired of trying to convince him to go, and also tired of cleaning up messes. Lately he's gotten a lot better. He spends most of the day at Lucy's in underwear and for the last week, he's been doing really well at home too. The odd time, he'll even go by himself to the potty we leave sitting in the room. Today we went to pick Maddy up from preschool in his underwear. He was pretty happy about that. Unfortunately, when we got home, I was so busy with getting lunch ready that I forgot to ask him to try, so he had an accident. My bad!
Sleep: Sleep is something that I'll never understand. For a while Ethan was having a harder and harder time falling asleep at night. We'd put him in at about 8pm and he'd read, play, sing and then resort to every tactic in the book to get our attention. Then finally at about 10pm he'd fall asleep. We took this as a sign to drop his nap. So we did that for a week. Somedays no nap, somedays a short nap. That was a huge mistake. He ended getting wildly overtired and started waking at crazy early times in the morning. Then we got back on track and he again started to stay up late. Finally in a crazy bid to just try something we put him to bed earlier. That seemed to do the trick. Today for example he took a 1.5hrs nap and still went down with little fuss at 7:30pm. Go figure.
Play: His favourite is still Woa Woa (his dog). Today I was reading a book called "No Dragons for Tea". It's about fire safety. In it, there's a part where the dragon realizes that he left his teddy in the house and tries to go back in to get it. Luckily the little girl stops him in time. During the first reading I explained to him that you can't go back in to get anything. That all 'things' can be replaced etc. On the second reading, later in the afternoon, he started telling me that you can't go back in to get teddy, except his eyes started to well up with tears. I could tell that it was killing him, the idea of leaving your favourite toy inside the burning house, but he wanted to show me that he knew the right thing to do. My poor little sensitive guy! I could just see him picturing Woa Woa up in flames as he stood outside. Haha!
Speech: He's now using sentences and getting better and better at telling us what he wants. I've even noticed that the way Ethan and Maddy play together has gotten better because of it. Not perfect, but better. With other people Ethan does not say much. He usually takes a long while to warm up to people before he opens up, but when he's comfortable he'll talk quite a bit. It's so funny to hear him lay down the rules so that there's no confusion. Things like, "Mama, after nap, then eat choclat snack time. Otaaay???" Ethan is also getting better at singing along to songs in the car. Right now one of his favourites is a reading of the book, "Pete the Cat". He loves to 'sing' along and has the expression down pat.
Brother and Sister: Maddy and Ethan are the best of friends at times. They play really well together and mostly Ethan just loves to do what his big sister is doing. However, they both ALSO know how to push each others buttons. Lucy told us that the day Maddy stayed home from daycare, Ethan was very sad and a little lost without her. :(
I'm sure that in another 6 months he'll be a completely different boy again. My gosh is it ever going by quickly. We're so proud of our little guy. xoxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment