Thursday, August 19, 2010

The time has come...

So tonight, it happened. For the last couple of weeks, we noticed that Maddy has been using every tactic in the book to try and extend her bedtime. She'll go into her room for bedtime with no problem, but once it's time for us to leave, the requests for drinks, potty, light on, wipe my nose, wipe my tears...go on and on. Once we do leave, she'll use other tactics such "ipod on!" or just screaming/crying to get us to come back.

Tonight, after both Josh and I went in there on separate occasions, we decided that enough was enough. We'd just ignore the calls. As you can imagine, she was QUITE upset, but we expected that. What we didn't expect was her to climb out of her crib by herself. What a shock!! She didn't fall, and just came out into the hallway and into the bathroom. What kills me is that she didn't even come to find us. She just went straight to the bathroom and started to take her pants down. It was as if to say, "Forget you! I'll just do it all by myself then!" Ha, ha, poor girl. I guess it's definitely time to take the side of your crib off.

(SIGH) The end of an era. I know we're lucky as some kids start climbing out of their cribs way earlier, I'm just more sad because it's another definite sign that my baby girl is not a baby anymore.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Too funny, and we were just talking today about her staying in her crib forever :). Guess they know when it's time it's time..

The Blommesteins said...

I know! I must have jinxed it by talking about.

Yvette said...

Ahhh...the end of the crib. It IS sad. For Josh, it was the other way - he was quite fine in his crib past his 3rd birthday, so we kept him there. Even when he started climbing out on his own, he was still happy to sleep in there - he only came out in the morning! Then, we did the upstairs reno and needed to get him in a regular bed. A few weeks after we moved him, he started coming downstairs at bedtime with all the excuses. Ugh. That started in January. It's STILL going on now...

The Blommesteins said...

What? Really? Say it isn't so! I'm not looking forward to bedtime with her being 'free' to roam about.

Sandee said...

haha, too funny after all that talk the other day.

aly has also discovered she can come out herself. she does it at nap time but very rarely at night... only once after she had a nightmare and was afraid to go to sleep again.

hopefully maddy won't come out much on her own, but it sounds like she's already mastered the art of procrastination.