Sunday, November 29, 2009

"A little piece of heart"


With the weather being so yucky lately, the last thing I want to do is to go out. Luckily I've been busy with my latest craft project. A long time ago my sister Shauna showed me an Etsy site that sells patterns for making play food out of felt. At that time I made a few pieces like hamburgers, bacon, eggs, pancakes and sandwich sets. For those ones, I just copied the best I could from the picture. But this one lady had some sets that really look authentic and I had no idea how to make them.

More recently, my friend Sandra said that she tried making some of the free patterns on the website and she said that it really wasn't as hard as it looks. She was right. The patterns are really easy to follow and come with nice photos. She also has a blog that has different tutorials and tips that are helpful. Here is my first attempt at the dim sum set. Maddy likes her new toys, she knows the names of the different dumplings but I'm sure she doesn't actually know what they are. Maybe we have to go for dim sum really, really soon.

Here's Maddy giving Ethan a 'taste' of the siu mai

My next project is the sushi set, but I have to let my fingers have a bit of a rest first! Stay tuned...

5 comments:

rae said...

oh that is very neat indeed! I just finished a little felt bird to update Sofia's mobile today =) Fun little projects!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, THOSE are impressive! Glad to see you have time with 2 kiddies, good to know, there is personal life with two :).
I love the dim sum set, can't wait to see your sushi set!

Casa Kai said...

Wow, amazing! I'm afraid to ask how long it took you :)

The Blommesteins said...

It didn't take very long, but I have to admit that I only got it done because of Josh, daycare and a house that is dirtier than usual.

Mieke said...

That looks awesome Monica. I can't wait to see all the other creations you are going to do.